The Pros and Cons of Using Synthetic Grass
Synthetic grass is made up from polyethylene plastic. The base which is used to give it a natural appearance is made up of crumb rubber a derivative of recycled rubber tires. These days a great many home owners prefer using synthetic grass in their lawn.
In the beginning it was only used for playing fields, slowly it gained popularity in residential lawns as well. In fact a great number of grass fields are being replaced with synthetic grass fields.
The following are some of the pros and cons of synthetic grass:-
Advantages of Synthetic Grass
Its advantages include
- A low maintenance cost. Despite an alarmingly high initial cost most people are quick to argue that its upkeep is pretty much economical.
- It’s a firm favorite with those who support the green cause. Since synthetic fiber doesn’t need any pesticides to be kept free from insects or to grow, it’s a great deal less polluting for the environment.
- It has proved to be a great deal more durable than regular grass. For example a playing filed with synthetic grass tens to withstand damage easier when compared to natural grass fields.
- Can bear the brunt of tough weather conditions. Come rain or shine synthetic grass can withstand all these because of its high durability. Matches can commence with ease whereas with natural grass a muddy field means that a match may be cancelled or could spell disaster for the field in the long run.
- There are absolutely no uneven surfaces on synthetic grass. It’s just one smooth piece of land and greatly reduces a risk of injury.
- Water friendly. A natural grass lawn may require tons of water. In fact a playing field may require more than 50000 gallons.
- It’s a popular choice for people that want their own putting green. You can see a great example of a synthetic grass putting green by Recsurf.
Disadvantages of Synthetic Grass
The following are a few of its disadvantages.
- Synthetic grass can heat up a great deal. Especially during extreme hot weather conditions. This might make playing almost impossible as players could be at risk for burn.
- The synthetic grass manufactures might make use of lead to give the grass its appealing green color. Lead is poisonous and a great many health issues have arisen due to lead poisoning. However some manufacturers do provide lead free synthetic grass it’s often custom made and more expensive.
- The shredded rubber which is used as a base may contain many harmful toxic chemicals like chromium, arsenic and selenium.
- Turf burns are pretty much common and athletes face them now and again. This is because the synthetic fibers aren’t as gentle on the skin as natural grass and may lead to abrasions in case of an injury.
- You can’t change from synthetic to natural. If you have used synthetic grass in your lawn you might have to keep using it. You would be unable to grow any natural grass because the mud loses all the biochemicals as a result of synthetic grass laid on top of it.
- They aren’t really advisable for people who might be suffering from asthma.
Despite its disadvantages synthetic grass is still pretty much popular with most people, and if you are interested, visit the following synthetic grass store.